Schaumburg Shoplifting Attorney
Reliable Defense for Shoplifting and Retail Theft
Under Illinois law, shoplifting is a serious crime that can result in jail
time or fines. In addition to paying fines, a defendant can be sued by
the merchant that was stolen from for damages. If you have been arrested
for retail theft, it is in your best interest to seek representation from
a dedicated Schaumburg shoplifting lawyer. At Ahmad Law Firm, we can provide
you the legal support you need to ensure that you are appropriately protected.
We offer free consultations—schedule your today.
Shoplifting Charges and Penalties
Shoplifting, or retail theft, can be committed in a variety of ways and
face civil and criminal penalties if convicted. You can be charged with
- You take merchandise without paying full retail price
- You switch merchandise from one container to another with the intent of
depriving the merchant of full retail value
- You tamper with labels or price tags
- You make a false return on merchandise
- You defeat anti-theft devices
- You keep merchandise past the expiration date of lease
If caught shoplifting, the defendant (or the legal guardian of a child
that shoplifted) may be faced with a civil lawsuit. He or she may have
to pay for damages, legal fees, and court costs. In addition, the criminal
penalties faced can be severe.
Shoplifting $300 or less can result in up to one year of imprisonment and
up to $2,500 in fines, but those numbers vary based on the details or
elements of the crime committed.
Your penalties can increase if:
- You use an emergency exit
- You have previously been convicted of a theft crime
- Stealing more than $300 in value in one action or over a year
If you have been arrested for shoplifting, contact our Schaumburg retail
theft attorney today. Our firm has represented numerous theft crime cases.
We are ready to help you!