If you were recently accused or arrested for forgery in Illinois, it is imperative to obtain legal representation from a qualified criminal defense attorney. Not only does this white collar crime result in lengthy prison time and expensive fines, but also a criminal record and permanent damage to your professional reputation.
At Ahmad Law Firm, we are committed to helping our clients get their charges reduced, or their case entirely dismissed. Our Chicago criminal defense lawyer has a comprehensive understanding of Illinois laws and can help you navigate through the complexities of the state legal system. Do not risk facing this offense without experienced and reliable legal counsel.
The crime of forgery is based on deception. It requires that a person performing the criminal act have the “intention to defraud” in order to obtain financial gain. For a document to be considered a forgery, it must be false and capable of defrauding by its appearance.
A person may be charged with forgery when he or she knowingly does one of the following:
- Create a false document or alters any document to make it false with capability of defrauding another person
- Issue or deliver a false document with knowledge of its false creation or alteration
- Possession with the intent to deliver a false document with knowledge of its false creation or alteration
- Unlawfully use a digital signature
- Unlawfully use a signature device of another person to make an electronic signature of that particular individual
In Illinois, forgery is considered a Class 3 felony, which is punishable by a prison sentence of two to five years and a fine of up to $25,000. When the Universal Price Code Label is forged, it is a Class 4 felony (punishable by a prison sentence of one to three years and a fine of up to $25,000). When a coin or academic degree is forged, it is a Class A misdemeanor (punishable by a jail sentence of up to one year and a maximum fine of $2,500).
Let Us Get Started on Your Case Today
As a former prosecutor, our Chicago criminal defense lawyer understands how the prosecution will approach your case, giving you an advantage in the courtroom. Let us protect your rights, reputation, and freedom immediately.